CULTURAL AND HISTORICAL HERITAGE
Rača Monastery is a cultural monument of great significance, which was built in 13th century, as a foundation of the Serbian King Dragutin Nemanjić. This monastery was one of the most important centers of Serbian culture and literacy in 17th century. Rača was burnt in 1690 along with copying workshop and Skit of St. George in Banja (the Spa). However, the monastery was rebuilt by Hadzi Melentius Stefanović, but the Ottomans burnt it again during the First Serbian Uprising. The existing monastery church in Rača, dedicated to Ascension of Christ, was finished in 1836. During the World War II, the Gospel Book of Prince Miroslav's (a manuscript of priceless value and greatest and most significant written monumet of the Serbian literature from the 12th centery) was hidden and saved from destruction under altar.
Skit of St. George is located near the spring of Lađevac, 2 km from the monastery Raca, on your way along the eponymous river. It was the center of famous "Raca copying school" - kind of workshop where the old Serbian Orthodox church liturgical books and manuscripts were copied by the monks. In 1630 the Turkish dervish and writer Zulih (Evlija Čelebija) wrote thate there were 300 self-educated copyists served by 400 shepherds, smiths, farmers and other servants, being guarded by even 200 armed guards. After the Great Migration of Serbs, the monks - Račans continued their copying work in Sent Andrea, Hungary, and their work is stored in libraries in Budapest, Belgrade, Cavtat, Bologna, Prague and Cetinje.
Gradina is a protruding elevation in the canyon of the Rača river, left to the viewpoint Crnjeskovo, where the remains of fortifications were discovered, with the foundations of a smaller church from the 5th or 6th century. It was a one-nave building made of cut limestone, with dimensions 13 x 4 m.
Orašac is an archaeological site on the left bank of the river Rača, about 500 m downstream from the monastery, with fragments of monumental basilica building from the 5th century.
Mramorje is the site in Perućac where there are medieval necropolises with 85 tombstones in the form of plates or low boxes. It is categorized as a cultural resource of great importance. Uroševina and Gajevi are necropolises in Rastište, with a total of 73 tombstones, of similar shape. Mramorje, Uroševina and Gajevi are considered the candidates for the List of the World’s Heritage.
Solotnik is a medieval fortress, located on the east side of Tara National Park, 9km from Kaludjerske Bare. The fortress dates from 14-15th century, its basis is trapezoidal, and dimensions are 16,85 x 28,20 m, with two entrances. Solotnik was ruined in the same century by the Ottoman invaders, between 1459 and 1466. Archaeologists have discovered fragments of pottery, iron tools, stone cannonballs, swords and crossbows.